one of my past projects
last updated 12/9/99
This 1954, 12' Traveleze in undergoing a full and complete restoration. The owner of this trailer found it not far from his house in northern California . He had been searching for the right trailer for some time when he came across this little beauty in need of a little T.L.C. and a lot of elbow grease. After contacting me and talking over the needs of the trailer, he bought it, and I drove to his house to pick it up.
The first thing that I needed to do, as with all of my restorations, is to try and access the damage to frame and the structure so that I could come up with some sort of a game plan on how I was to attack the project.
It was quite evident that there was some water and dry rot to the underside of the side walls on the bottom of the trailer and to the rounded frames at the front and rear of the trailer on both side. I first needed to remove the edge trim and siding panels so that I could see the extent of the damage.
As you can see in the photos, I had I lot of wood to replace and strengthen. When all of the bad wood was removed, I was able to rebuild the frame work of the trailer and replace the paneling and move on the the striping of the paint.
5 min.'s into the stripping and I knew that I was in for a nightmare. To this day, I am still not sure just what it was that they used as a primer the last time the trailer was painted, but I believe that it must be some sort of nuclear waste product from the 50's!! The primer just wouldn't come off. I spent 8 days on stripping the paint and primer off of this little trailer. I have never spent more than 2 days doing a trailer of this size before.
This is why you would want to bring you trailer to us to have it restored, We are set up to tackle all types problems and stumbling blocks.
While stripping the paint, I discovered the original paint scheme and graphics which helped us to decide how we were going to finish the exterior when finished.
top of page